Tagged Part 2: Four Movies, Four Places

I'm back in Seattle now. Su & C fly up tomorrow morning. One last picture from SF - yes, those houses. When we lived in SF I went past them practically every day on the bus into downtown. I promise actually respectable photos when Susan does an upload.

So the challenge is to list four movies I could watch over and over again. I think one metric is "what movie would I not turn off even if it had been on TV over and over and over again". I also thing anything in the last 5 years gets an automatic veto - these sorts of things need to age.
  1. Star Wars - yes, I'm a geek. I wouldn't have listed this, though, unless I'd watched it recently to show Caspian. Note that I'm talking specifically about Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, not the others. It is really, really good. Okay, it starts slow, but the acting, attention to detail, cinematography and everything is just beautiful. I just wish Lucas would release it on DVD without the Special Edition changes. They are just so poorly integrated. Greedo, Jabba, Biggs, ugh. But other than that - if you haven't watched it recently, do so. Pay close attention to Alec Guiness - put in the larger context of the movies (yes, all six) he's actually really, really playing a crazy old hermit Jedi extremely well, not merely sleeping through the role. Empire is my favorite of the series, but A New Hope does outclass it in terms of re-watchability, I think.
  2. Back to the Future - and on this one I have to say "the trilogy". Any of the three are extremely re-watchable. Christopher Lloyd, Michael J. Fox, and a Delorean. Mr. Fusion, the hoverboard, and 1.21 Gigawatts. "Great Scott!", "This is heavy!" and "Why do we have to cut these things so damn close?"
  3. The Shawshank Redemption - yes, I'm listing this because they show it over and over and over and over and over again on TNT. Yet I will still leave it on for background noise. I don't own the DVD (why bother, it's practically show-on-demand on TNT). Morgan Freeman, Tim Robbins, and an ending that makes me cry. And live on a beach in Mexico.
  4. Real Genius - which you probably remember as "the movie with the house full of popcorn". Val Kilmer before he jumped the shark as Batman. Life as a geek the way it should have been. Saving the world from the evil military-industrial complex. "Would you be prepared if gravity reversed itself?", "If there's anything I can do for you, or, more to the point, to you..." and "Smart people on ice". You must love this movie - "It's a moral imperative."
The next one is easy: Four places I've lived:
  1. Rimbey, Alberta, Canada - where I was born
  2. Calgary, Alberta, Canada - where I grew up
  3. San Francisco, California, USA - when I moved out on my own
  4. Seattle ('burbs), Washington, USA - where I am for now
Next one is tricky, though - four television shows I love. I'll have to think on that for a while.


Comments